Thursday 15 September 2011

Choosing an architect

I never thought that choosing an architect could be such a process. Once we knew we were going to buy the place (in fact, even before we knew), I'd started looking at architecture firms. I would have considered a "designer" (which, on a side note, is what exactly?), but I couldn't seem to track any down outside of "design-build" firms. Add to that the fact that it seems like their credentials are a bit...how do I say...missing, and the fact that we were doing some structural work (and less finishing work), and it felt like an architect was the way to go.

So what was the process? Well, I started by having a meeting with the only practicing architect that I knew - a friend, and the brother of an ex-colleague of mine - Ian McDonald from Bruce Carscadden Architect. Ian and I met up and had lunch and he kindly went over exactly what it was that an architect provided in terms of services, how the costs, worked etc. Aside from giving me a better understanding of the whole process, it also made me understand Kristina's dad's current job a little better (interesting side note). Armed with that knowledge, and a few of Ian's recommendations, I began searching online. I googled the kinds of things I was looking for, I searched through the Architecture Institute of BC (AIBC), the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (and their award list), as well as magazines like Western Living that does a feature on architects, etc. each year. I was looking to find a firm that was younger, did modern styled architecture, had strong green/sustainable credentials, and that I liked the feel of ("vibe"). We didn't want someone who was going to impose their vision on us, didn't want to pay through the nose, but also wanted someone with some experience. After tracking down a list of about 6 or 7 firms (below, plus Battersby Howatt, Frits de Vries, and a couple of others), I emailed them all and just gave them a sense of what I was up to. A few didn't reply, a few were dismissive of my budget (we shall see...) - no need to name names, and a few wrote back saying they were interested: Proscenium, Measured, Shape, and Carscadden. All fit the bill, so we met with each of them face-to-face.

4) Proscenium indicated that they were pretty busy, so really wouldn't be able to fit it in and they were probably on the higher end of our budget anyhow, so then there were three.
3) Measured were great and we really enjoyed meeting with their two leads. They had some really interesting projects in the mix (deconstruction, etc.) and provided us with a good proposal - but it didn't quite measure up to the other two...
2) Shape were also really impressive. Alec and Nick (the two Principals) were excellent - exactly the sort of people that I would have envisioned us working with - young, into sustainability, design, small things, and in general the nature of our project. I had the chance to visit two of their sites - one off of Commercial Drive (where one of the Principals built his own modern strata with a friend), and one in Kits (where a young family did a lift-renovate, which was interesting). Both visits were really interesting and quite impressive.
1) Lastly, Carscadden. Bruce and Ian first chatted with me, and then again with Kristina. While their green credentials weren't as strong as some of the other firms, there was no doubt it played into their thinking and designs (more via design than knowledge of systems). We also did two visits to their sites - one to a fancy West Point Grey house (not QUITE our budget), and then to Bruce's own house.

In the end...we picked...

No comments:

Post a Comment